Social media is a platform or tools available on the internet for social interaction and communication Examples of social media are facebook, twitter, whatsapp,
WHY SOCIAL MEDIA MUST BE REGULATED
- As at 2016, more than 80 million Nigerians are on the internet which is about 46% of the Nigeria population.
- Also, more than 16 million Nigerians are on facebook alone apart from other social media
- Statistics show that most of the Nigerians on social media are youths (who did not cares about consequence of most their action rather to make money and entertain).
Because of these, people use social media for different reasons such as interaction, communication, business, politics, education etc in this cause of these, they abuse the platform socially, economically, politically etc
- Socially, by fake dating, deceit others, hack others account, impersonation of identify etc
- Economically, the defraud others, hack other people’s details, false promises, false business etc
- Politically, this is most abuse in the 2015 general election where there as name calling, hate speeches, advertorial, etc that almost destroy the country.
CAUSES OF SOCIAL MEDIA ABUSE
Week or poor regulating body
HOW TO REGULATE SOCIAL MEDIA
Through citizen sensitization programmes
Through registration that involve national identity card.
Through the formulation of law to guide against the abusive of social media that must be over see by the civil society group, human right to prevent government excess too.