Soap operas are used interchangeable with soap is a continuous process work of art, specifically dramatic on Television and Radio. A soap operas sometimes called soap for short is an ongoing episodic work
of dramatic fiction presented in serial format on television or radio that had soap manufacturers such as Procter.
These early radio serial were broadcasted in weekday time slots when most housewives would be available to listen; thus the shows were aimed at and consumed by a predominantly female audience.
The term soap operas has at times been generally applied to any romantic serials but it is also to describe the more naturalistic, unglamorous, primetime drama serials such as Coronation Street. A crucial element that defines soap operas is the open ended nature of the narrative, with stories spanning several episodes. The defining feature that makes program soap operas according to Albert Moran is that form of television that works with a continuous open narrative. Each episode ends with a promise that the storyline is to be continued in another episode.
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary defines soap operas as a story about the lives and the problems of a group of people which is broadcasted or several times a week on television/radio.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problem of this research are as follows:
- Soap operas stories run concurrently and lead into further developments. An individual episode of a soap opera will generally switch several different concurrent stories that may at times interconnect and affect one another or may run entirely independent of each other.
- Each episode may feature some of current storylines but not always all of them especially in soap opera serials that are broadcasted each week.
- Each episode of soap operas rarely bring current storyline to a conclusion at the same time it is been broadcasted.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- To what extent do the audience of Nigerian Television Authority recognize soap operas?
- To what extent do the visual quality of a soap operas affect viewers of television programmes?
- Do soap operas have effects on their audience?
- To what extent do the soap operas affect the viewership of Nigerian Television stations?
- What is the relationship between both the soap operas magazines and the mainstream press?
1.4 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objective of this research work is the audience perception to soap operas on Nigeria television stations i.e. the reaction of Nigerian citizen on soap operas programme on the local television in Nigeria using NTA as a case study. The specific objectives are as follows:
- To determine the extent that the audience of Nigerian Television Authority recognize soap operas.
- To know if the visual quality of soap operas affect viewers of television programmes.
- To examine the effects of soap operas on their audience.
- To know if soap operas affect the viewership of Nigerian Television Stations.
- To know the relationship between both the soap operas magazines and the mainstream press.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The benefits of this study are numerous. The Audience perception of soap operas on Nigerian Television Stations demands serious empirical investigation because of its significance.
Media Students: The result of the study will serve as reference materials for mass communication students.
Government: Both management of NTA will find the study useful in many aspects.
Audience: Soap operas serves as a means of entertainment and pleasure for the audience of the programmes on Nigerian Television.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this research work is to examine the audience perception of soap operas on Nigerian television stations using Nigerian Television Authority as a case study.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research work shall be limited to audience perception of soap opera in Nigerian Television Stations. The following are the limitation that hinders the study of this research work;
- Financial Constraints: There are not enough funds to fuel the study of this research work. The researcher has access to a very little source of fund.
- Time Constraints: Due to the limited time available to carry out this research work, it is not possible to carry out the research extensively as anticipated by the researcher.
1.8 DEFINITION OF BASIC TERMS
Material: This can be defined as an ingredient used to make or build something.
Technique: This is a particular way of doing something in order.
Soap Operas: A soap opera is a form of serial drama which is characterized by very cliché plots, themes, and situations.
Audience: This is the group of spectators at a public event; listeners or viewers collectively, as in attendance at a theater or concert. The persons reached by a book, radio or television broadcast e.t.c.
Perception: Perception is the organization, identification and interpretation of sensory information in order to represent and understand the environment. All perception involves signals in the nervous system, which in turn result from physical stimulation of the sense organs.
Extraction from the full project.