1.1 Background to the Study
Mass media especially television is regarded as the eye and hear of the people because media look for information on behalf of the general public. Television helps the populace to be aware of the various events near and far away.
Television is now inseparable with the society because of the numerous roles they play in our society including educational function.
The mass media especially television is a very powerful socializing agent to reach large heterogeneous and widely dispersed audiences.
It is also observed that it can reach million of people over huge areas very quickly even from the other side of the world by spreading news, information, entertainment and propaganda, persuade.
Indeed television represents a powerful tool of socializing people and students in particular through their different programme which increases the level of literacy in the society by providing educative programmes for the people. Television do not only transmit information and messages but also provide visual oriented (Picture) of government activities like Universal Basic Education programme, quiz, debate, and other educative and academic activities that will enrich the people.
Television equally teaches the individual or public the norms and values of society and reinforce same.
Recent developments in television have drastically affected educational procedure for improved quality of education offered to students, television resources in instructional delivery in schools will serve dual purposes and more efficient classroom instruction (Nzewi, (2009); Umoren, (2006).
The advancement which television resources offer in higher education can be evident through accessibility to educative programmes and instructional delivery in Osun state. This can only be attained when it is drastically integrated into the programme process in the educational advancement system.
Productive situational delivery enhances learners’ creative and intellectual development through the use of television images, graphics, audio, test motion for high quality learning.
Kayode Adedire (2004) offers the following as basic roled of television in education.
1. Socialization: Television helps to socialize children on their cultural values in their domain especially how to know about past, great personalities, festivals, ceremonies, dressing and behaviour. Through programme like, and some print content dedicated to culture and education.
2. Religion: A lot are learnt today on television about one’s religious especially on radio and television anchored by religion analysts while religion leaders are invited to educate and sensitize their followers. Such programmes carries titles like “religion of faith”, “time for paradise”, “words of God” e. t. c
3. Subject: Various subjects like mathematics, English language, Yoruba, and technological-based subjects are disseminate on radio and television to teach children. This can have titles like “My T.V Teacher’, “TV-education show”. e.t.c
4. Brain Test: Children are also educated and tested through brain test competition shows like T.V quiz, Who wants to be a Millionaire e t. c
5. Sex Education: Sex education are also presented to children on television and radio especially how to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy and diseases like HIV/AIDS such programme are: Abule Oloke Meje, and many more.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Television being an audiovisual medium influence youth especially students on their day to day activities. It teaches moral as well as bad behaviour, as people especially youths are exposed to various programme such as exposure to foreign culture and indecent dressing.
The research will seek the impact of television as an instrument of educational advancement with a case study of Osun State i.e people of Osun of state.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
i. To know whether television contribute to educational development of the people in Osun State.
ii. To examine whether television news and programmes has changed the socialization value of people in Osun State.
iii. To know if television programmes stimulate group discussion among people of Osun State.
iv. To examine if television educate and socialize people of Osun State.
v. To examine if television have negative effects on people.
1.4 Scope of the Study
The research has the topic “television as an instrument of educational advancement with a case study of Osun State.
However, due to time, financial constraints and other logistics, the research will not be able to cover all States in Nigeria and that is why Osun State is selected.
1.5 Research Questions
i. Does television contribute to educational development of people in Nigeria?
ii. To what extent has television news and programmes change the social-cultural value of people?
iii. Has television programmes stimulated group discussion among people?
iv. Does television educate and socialize people especially youths of Nigeria?
v. What are the negative effects of television on people?
1.6 Significance of the Study
The objective of the study is to examine and analyze the impact of television on education development.
Media Practitioners: The work will benefit mass media outfits and media practitioners on the need to include in their day to day activities some of the programmes that can promote and improve education such as quiz, debates, brain tests e. t. c.
Researchers: Future researchers would as well benefit from this work as it will complement their research effort.
Schools and Government: Schools and governments will also see the importance of mass media in achieving their objectives.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
It is not an overstatement that a work of this nature cannot be carried out without some hard experiences, however below are some of the constraints to this work.
There are many limitations ranging from not knowing where to start, not knowing who to consult or approach for materials, not knowing what next to write in various segment of this study and not actually knowing who to put me through in achieving my work and others are:
1. Stress from other academic activities is one of the limitations to the research work
2. Financial constraint to travel to different places.
3. Duration of the research work is relatively short
3. Materials that are available on this topic is relatively small as the concept is new or people have not written much from this angle.
1.8 Definition of Terms
Television:-Is a telecommunication medium for transmitting and receiving moving images that can be monochrome (black-and-white) or colored, with or without accompanying sound “television” may also refer specifically to a television programming, or television transmission.
Education: The wealth of knowledge acquired by an individual after studying particular subject matter or experiencing life lesson that provide an understanding of something.
Advancement: The process of promoting a cause or plan